Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sci Fi Expo – Women of Sci Fi

Okay, this is not the recommended way of doing a convention but this really worked out for me today.
I showed up at 5:15PM when the place was scheduled to close at 6PM.
Just so we are on the same page - that’s 45 minutes until they shut down for the day.
I had a class that lasted MUCH longer than expected; that’s why I got there late.  
In fact, I had to hunt for the guy that was going to give me by attendance wrist band. He was packing up for the day.  I’m mean why not?  Who comes in at the last 45 minutes?  In fact, he even asked why I bothered showing up.
From his point of view it didn’t give me any time in the Dealers Room, I missed all of the panel discussions, and most of the signers were gone.
Dealer Room – I’m not into it.  No, really, I’m not.  It doesn’t do anything for me.  I never find anything I want.
The panel discussions - Well, I would like to do them but it’s not why I’m there. So if I miss the latest gossip, oh well.
Autographs – now we’re talking.  I’m there for the autographs.
But unlike 99.99% of everyone else, I got a parking spot 25 feet from the front door.
I didn’t have lines more than 2 or 3 people deep to stand in.
I got my 6 autographs, chatted with each of the ladies for a moment or two and got out of there in 30 minutes.
To recap - I got Morena Baccarin, Tricia Helfer, Katee Sackhoff, Nichelle Nichols, Alaina Huffman, and Yvonne Craig in 30 minutes.
I didn’t have to see kids (or their parents) meltdown, I didn’t have to hear comparisons between old Battlestar and new, or get in touch with my Inner Cow as I stood in lines all day.
Should I do this every time?  No.  I lucked out this time.
AH

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You got pretty lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I got very lucky. It also freed up my Sunday so I could veg.

    ReplyDelete