Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Monday, August 21, 2017

TMNT SDCC 2017


Saturday morning, as I entered the Expo floor, my friends and I headed to the Marvel Booth. I’m slower than they are. I could see they had already joined the fray that was around the Marvel booth. The chaos was much worse than Friday. I could already hear the shouting from the booth workers that the lines were capped. You can choose to believe that (and about 1/3 of the time it’s not true) or you can change plans.  I changed plans.

I switched course and went to the IDW booth. I wanted to get a wrist band for Wynonna Earp. As I was in line, another booth worker with a fistful of wristbands walked out from behind the counter. He looked over the crowd of young women and meekly asked if anyone was here for Kevin Eastman. No one responded.

I never watched the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cartoons or read the comics. I have seen the movies and I enjoyed them.  I do know that Kevin Eastman is a big name. While he does lots of signings at SDCC and is available if you work on it, I never got a chance. He was not even on my radar.

There I was, the lone male at the Wynonna wristband line, seeing an opportunity. I meekly asked if could get a wristband for Eastman. He looked at me.  I could tell he was about to ask me to leave the line to get it. But he took pity on me. He walked over and put the wristband on me.

Wow.


After I was done with these lines, I needed to find something to get signed. Huh, I wonder where I could go to find some Turtle stuff? The only problem is SDCC had SOOOOO much to look at. I found a reprint at the IDW booth and bought that.

At the signing they had: Kevin Eastman, Tom Waltz, Freddie E. Williams, and Bobby Curnow. The item I bought (and the free comic book) did not have Freddie Williams work on it, so he didn’t sign.

As Eastman signed, he did ask which was my favorite. I said Raph (like I’m too cool to say Raphael).  He nodded and said, I thought so. I wondered what kind of personality test I just took and left with my very cool signatures.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment