Autograph Hound's Blah Blah Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Wynonna Earp SDCC 2017


I already mentioned I got in line at the IDW booth for a wristband for Wynonna Earp Saturday morning. That was when I serendipitously got a Kevin Eastman wristband too.

The 20 or so people in front of me all paused at the cash register and purchased an item for the signing. The line waited for the sale to end and then those people got their wristbands. No one skipped the people making a purchase. The line paused. It made for a very slow process but that what was happening.

So I did the same, I picked up the ‘yearbook’ and I paid for the item. Then I got a wristband.

The last wristband.

The girl behind said I cut into front of her. Hmmm, I did not like hearing that.  I turned and explained I never left the line; I only purchased my officially licensed IDW Wynonna Earp Season One Yearbook, which I pulled out of the bag to show that I was really a fan.


Ignoring my freshly bought copy of the ’yearbook’, she continued that she was counting the wristbands and counting the people in line and she should have gotten the last wristband.

You know me. I’m fairly 'comme ci comme ça'. It is only an autograph. I normally would have been chivalrous. I would have had the band taken off me and given to her.

Yes, time slowed down. Lots of thoughts flashed through my brain. It was Saturday. This was day 4 of SDCC and day 3 of sleeping on the sidewalk for a few hours. My back was hurting and I had followed the ‘wristband’ process. I was feeling bummed about missing out on Justice League. I was not happy I missed on Marvel. The ‘joy’ of Kevin Eastman was quickly fading as I saw her face turn red.

I knew tears were coming.

I said: Sorry. Then I turned and causally walked away.  I heard the start of a rebuttal but I did not pause. My only regret was leaving the heavily padded carpet of the IDW booth that felt so good to my aching feet to step out in the hard as concrete carpet that covers the Expo floor.

Was I heartless?  Maybe.


Since the line moved extremely slow last year, I got to the 4PM signing very early. I didn’t want to be too deep in the line. You never know when they might end the signing because they ran out of time. I also had something else to be at 5:45 PM.

Because I was so early, I was the 10th person in line. I had a family of 4 in front of me: Mom, her sister, and each of their pre-teen daughters. The mom and her sister were uber fans. Like the stereo-typical Star Trek fan from the 70’s.

This was a large signing. IDW was able to squeeze in 9 people for the signing. Uber mom and her sister had to spend 3 or 4 minutes with each actor. They asked if the actor remembered them from last year's 'meet up'. They explained how they thought they must be friends because the show’s official Facebook page had photos of both of them with one or more of the actors. Yes, the actually asked if the actors remembered them from last year. Then they detailed their stalker like activities from last year.

So okay, I have also geeked out with celebs. While I wasn’t happy that I was standing in line so long, I didn’t mind too much. I agree that security should keep an eye on these two but they were mostly harmless.

What had me concerned was I lost sight of my officially licensed IDW Wynonna Earp Season One Yearbook. Beau Smith started signing on a page that made the signature pop. The cast followed suit. Well, most of the cast.  As the line bogged down because uber mom and sister, the handlers started moving items forward in the line. The handlers didn’t care where or what was signed. They needed the line to move forward. My officially licensed IDW Wynonna Earp Season One Yearbook left my sight. As the yearbook closed, the handlers opened any page and got the actor to sign.

At the end of the counter was a stack of items that were signed and waiting to be picked up. Uber mom and sister started looking through the pile. Their stuff never left their hands. They thought this was freebies. I had to tell them that ’that’ book was mine. They moved a few steps aside to take photos but not enough steps to allow people to move past them. Even while out of line, they were still causing delays.

I wouldn’t have stressed over this if it was a promo poster. However, this was something I bought to get signed. This is what made the girl cry in the morning. This was karma saying, oh you know what…you were heartless.


IDW and a few other booths will allow you to bring a personal item to get signed. You can’t bring a stack of items but you can bring a photo. I did that last year. This year I had 2 more photos.  I got Katherine Barrell and Tim Rozon to sign. Both were very nice and friendly. Tim leaned over and said if I liked his character, this season will be great. So maybe Karma was right, I was slightly heartless but not ruthless as the signing was great.

Barrell, Katherine (front page top left), Provost-Chalkley,Dominique (front page top right), Duarte, Tamara (front page middle left), Anderson, Shamier (front page middle right), Smith, Beau (front page lower left), Scrofano, Melanie (bottom center), Andras, Emily (back page top left), Saranga, Varun (back page top right), Rozon, Tim (Back page center)

AH

4 comments:

  1. They are going to be at Dragoncon this year. I can t wait to give you the info. They just added Melanie to the guest list. -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to see them at Dragon Con. They are all very fan friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a promo poster from a friend who was there. I spent an hour or so trying to research who all signed the poster. A couple are fairly difficult to make out. Eventually after much looking around eBay and the web trying to compare signatures I found your post here. It is thanks to your writeup that I was able to identify all of the signatures corrrectly and with certainty. For that I want to say “Thank You!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. I know what you mean about not knowing who signed. I have the same issue after each group event like this. I also spend time reviewing the intent and my photos.
    While I did not get the cast from Wynonna this year, they did multiple signings at the IDW booth. I could tell, as I passed by, they were friendly (as always) and people were having fun.

    ReplyDelete